Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Marathon Monday

With the end of school drawing nearer, I feel that everyday provides an opportunity to enjoy, for the last time ever, something very uniquely Boston. And a holiday, specific to Boston, that literally has the entire city shut down so that everyone can cheer on the marathoners, is definitely very Boston. Marathon Monday is a glorious day. Who doesn't love random Monday holidays? I've only watched the race 2 out of 4 years, so I was glad to take the opportunity to crowd the city streets with the rest of the city and even go by the Finish Line.

To start the day off right, I met Dee and Meg (and Meg's friend) for breakfast at Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe.

One of the great things about Boston is how many little food shops, that are amazing, there are to eat at and try. I literally have not tried nearly enough. So I was only too happy to give Charlie's a try. It did not disappoint. I had raspberry griddle cakes (aka pancakes that were filled with real whole raspberries) and it was phenomenal.

26.2 miles is ridiculous. 26.2 mile in 90 degree weather is ridiculous. It was so hot! And the pace of some of those elite runners (and some of the not elite runners) literally had me in awe. They're amazing. And you stand on the sides of the course - with thousands of your closest friends, just cheering for people to keep running and to finish. Its quite a sight! Any time anyone would stop running in front of us (and we were literally like 200m from the finish line), the street would erupt in even louder cheers for that specific runner, calling out their name (if it was written on their shirt or arm) or any descriptive feature about them. Letting them know that everyone surrounding them believed they could do it. Awe-inspiring. And slightly deafening.







Standing there, for a couple hours, cheering and watching made me almost feel like I should just stop being such a hater on running and give it a go again (literally that half killed all my desire to run). But I'm currently really enjoying crossfit (in an exhausted sort of way), so I think I'm not quite ready to commit to running again. Maybe that will be my summer 'I have no life plans' goal. It was also nice this weekend, because Lucinda's friend, Cody, who I ran my half marathon with, was visiting. 

After watching and cheering for several hours we were hot and thirsty. So we headed to Dee's deck to continue to enjoy the hot day. It was the perfect amount of breeziness and sun. I guess with all the running around I do lately, I've really been taken with just sitting and doing absolutely nothing. 
It is glorious.



The Barry's and Cody came over to enjoy the deck (since they had made a pit stop at Charlie's out of clear jealousy for missing out earlier). And then we headed to Upper Crust for dinner.
Delicious Upper Crust.
Cody made me a fun bow tie dollar bill and we ate, what is always great pizza.



I guess, when I take a step back from the school aspect of things (and with the ever dwindling number of requirements and stresses helping to relieve my troubled mind), I'm starting to realize that there is a lot of things I will miss about Boston. And most of them surround the fact that right now, I get to spend everyday with my friends. Come a month from now, we will be spread out across the North American continent, and I really just want to enjoy the time we have left together (and do as many activities with them as possible!), because I really and truly will miss them when graduation is over. I can't help but feel a little sad at the changes that are going to be happening so soon. There are fun things to do in Boston for sure. But for me, what makes Boston memorable and endearing isn't Boston itself - its the people I've had the opportunity to get to know and spend time with. I don't love Boston as a place. I love Boston as the people that occupy Boston with me. For me, those people are Boston.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Looks like a pretty perfect monday! I will take a random monday holiday anytime!

Royall said...

That funny. Running that half killed all my desire to run too. Like I seriously have not wanted to run one single time since. I'm awe-inspired by your cross-fitting. I really hope I get a chance to try it with you because I don't have the guts to go to a cross-fit gym by myself. It looks so hardcore!