Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hunger


I was skeptical about these books. They were talked up too much, and I knew I wanted to read them, but it felt like a burden. I had so many other books that I wanted to make it through, and the Hunger Games series was near the top, but kept getting overrun by other more intriguing finds. Its almost like even though I knew they'd meet my expectations, I didnt want to read them in the off chance they didnt. 

But one airplane ride changed that.

Hunger Games.
What can I say about this?
This first book was perfection. Immediately I was immersed in the world of Panem.
Katniss Everdeen. Peeta Mellark.
They're sent as tributes from their district. To fight to the death against two tributes from the other eleven districts. Where only one is allowed to be victor. Fight to the death to pay for a rebellion against the government that happened years ago. 
Picture being thrown into such an event. Forced to celebrate the death of children. Watch the violence and cheer. Or worse, try to survive it. It was interesting because Katniss very much is a survivor. But she has learned that the only person she can depend on is herself. Her independence is both a strength and a weakness. Because we cant always do it all on our own. But I like the learning curve of trying to control everything and realizing that in reality you control nothing. And Peeta, would do anything to just save her. The boy with bread only wants the girl on fire to live. They are pieces in a bigger game. And we get to watch it all play out with baited breath.  

I wont spoil what happens - because the enjoyment is in the details.
But just know that I started reading Book Two yesterday at lunch. When I got home from school I read straight until I'd finished it. I'm only sad I now have to wait for Book Three. 
Did I love these books? Yes.
Though sometimes Katniss makes me so frustrated I could punch a baby.
Good thing I dont have any on hand.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

i obviously need to suck it up and just read these books. i need to quit delaying the inevitable.

Melissa said...

Bonnie it is so true. Cant stop the inevitable.