Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cool E.

I feel a little proud right now. Kinda on top of the world a bit. Why you ask? Well multiple reasons but one is because I did something out of character and brave. Something thats hard for me. And as of this moment, it appears to be working out.


So my first week back in Massachusetts I went to church. And was more than prepared to sit by myself. Thats just how things go. So I choose a nice empty row of seats and make myself comfortable. But right as I sit down, one of our ward missionaries turns to me and introduces himself. Elder Erickson. Right away I can tell, this is a freaking cool missionary. He was funny, and immediately mocked me sitting by myself. That kinda of personality generally wins me over immediately. But he was really kind too. Told me to come sit by him and his companion so I didnt have to sit alone. Now I used to have the missionaries over for dinners all the time my first few years of University. My roommates and I would invite Petey who lived downstairs and have a great time with the missionaries. It was one of my favorite things. And Elder Erickson and his much quieter companion seemed really cool, so I signed up to feed them. Cause I love half serious half mocking people - and who doesnt love dinner. 


Well Elder Erickson called me on Sunday night to confirm our dinner appointment this Saturday. When I'd talked to him at church after signing up, he'd asked me to try to find a non-member (preferably a guy) to come (kinda as a chaperone since its way not kosher to have dinner without a masculine presence - mission rules and what not). But well, things of that nature make my insides twist up - I immediately thought of Amit and Heather, since they're awesome and I think wouldnt freak out, but I found out during the week that Amit would be gone and Heather was busy. I just get nervous and shy when it comes to inviting people I dont know well places and I dont like the thought of imposing anything on anyone.  Free will and what not. Asking another member to come - ya no big deal. But the missionaries asked me again to try to find a non-member to come to dinner on Sunday. And after my Sunday rescue, I wanted to repay Kellie back, and a dinner would be perfect. So I told the missionaries I would see if she was interested.


Well it just so happened that I ran into Kellie coming into the building on Monday. That never happens. So I mentioned that I was making dinner for my roommate and missionaries for my church and asked her if she wanted to come. She said that'd be nice. I called the missionaries today to set up a definite time so I could tell Kellie, and they said they'd play it cool, but I'm kinda excited. I've never had the nerve to actually invite someone before. Plus I think she'll like the missionaries, they're super cool. And I think it'll be low key and fun. I feel like I've turned over a new leaf. And I'm excited by the prospect of it.

7 comments:

*little miss giggles* said...

thats cool :) good to hear

Pete said...

I loved dinner with you and your roomies and the missionaries!

Julie said...

good for you! i am a super big chicken when it comes to stuff like that. def way easier to just call up petie! good times.

Amit and Heather said...

I'm sorry we're going to miss you making dinner! Have fun!

Alaya said...

You ARE going to bake her something!!! Excellent.

Linz said...

sweetness crazy girl!! i miss you!

Deidre said...

Good job! Let us know how it goes.