Friday, January 28, 2011

Bruschetta Irony

At Yankee, they had a great fortune teller box. Which was really just a lady in a box who when you pushed the button would "come to life" and wave her hands and hand you a card into the slot.
I thought this was a particularly ironic fortune for me.
Because lately I've been feeling a little like all I want is immediate gratification.
But slowly, I'm remembering how foolish that is. 
Good things take time.

This applies to pretty much everything but I'm trying to re-vamp my eating habits, I've decided that having food in my house and actually making it would be good.
 I almost broke my new resolve tonight (since I was feeling particularly hungry and lazy - which is a terrible combination mind you), but I have good friends sending me tasty recipes that I really do want to try. But actually cooking requires a little more effort than I've previously been putting in.
A few things about tonight's attempt at domesticity:
1. I should of cut the tomatoes into smaller pieces. I feel like smaller pieces would make it so the tomatoes fall off the bread less. 
2. More garlic. I was nervous about the garlic. Because truthfully it seemed like alot to me when I was crushing it and finely chopping it. But taste wise... I coulda done with a bit more I think.
3. I absolutely forgot to salt and pepper it. It slipped my mind. Until the very last piece of bread with bruschetta. And well, I love me some salt. The salt just brought out the flavour so much more.
4. I also didnt let it set or toast the bread - kinda forgot to do that. So when I say I follow directions, obviously I use that quite loosely. Whoopsies.


2 and 1/2 CUPS DICED TOMATOES*
1/2 CUP GREEN ONION CHOPPED FINELY
1 TEASPOON DRY BASIL
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed**
1 TEASPOON OREGANO
1/4 CUP OLIVE OIL
some salt and pepper

Mix, and set at room temperature for an hour or two.
*Roma tomatoes are nice because they're firmer inside than other tomatoes
**OPTIONAL, YET RECOMMENDED: saute the garlic (after you crush it) in a little bit of butter. you will know when it's done cause it will start to brown slightly.

serve on lightly toasted artisan bread. a sprinkle of fresh parmesan could be added as a finishing touch.
Enjoy!

No comments: