Almond Chicken Soup with Sweet Potato, Collards and Ginger
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- 1 cup collard leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Combine the stock, onion, garlic, and sweet potato in a stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chicken, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond butter and 1/2 cup of the soup mixture into a thick paste. Add the collard leaves and ginger to the soup and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the almond butter paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, and squeeze with lime wedge.
Which totally sounded awesome.
But instead of following the directions I decided to just keep a general thought of what they were and add whatever amount pleased my little soul.
I wanted it to be more of an almond chicken sauce with spinach.
So my proportions were different and not very by the book.
3/4 C Chicken Stock
Heaping Tbsp. Almond Butter
Diced Green onions
1 Clove Garlic minced
tsp-ish ginger minced
tsp-ish lime juice
half a chicken breast cubed
Several handfuls of spinach
I mixed all my ingredients together and let them simmer together of a medium-low setting.
And then I put the sauce over top of the sweet potato.