Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ahoy Matey

One thing my group of friends is really good at, is making me step outside my comfort zone. They invite me to do all sorts of things that if I were left to my own devices I would probably never do. Learning to sail definitely fell into that category. 
Its not that I didnt think sailing would be fun.
It just had never occurred to me to do it.
And if I had to do it by myself - ya, it just wouldnt happen.
Because its less nerve wracking to learn something new, when you have friends with you.
The first day we went to Community Boating we were supposed to do the Orientation (where they show you all the different boats) and then if we wanted to Rigging (learn to put a sail up). And we did that. But as soon as it finished we were itching to take a boat out. Didnt matter that we had absolutely no idea what we were doing. They just let us take a boat anyways. It was slightly ridiculous.



But even though I dont think I'm quite ready to just start sailing without the company of John or Derrick, I have to admit that there is something about it that is really amazing. Last week Derrick and I took a Shore School class. And then later in the week John, Derrick and I went and took another boat out. Derrick and I managed to pass all our requirements so we're now ready to start solo sailing. 
But both days I was in the worst of moods. Clinic has been rather hard on my ego lately. But I didnt want to miss out on the sailing and came despite the fact that all I wanted to do was skip it. But there is something about sailing. Both times I left chipper and excited and just happy. 
Sailing makes me happy.

Turns out even though learning new things is terribly intimidating, its also kind of awesome.

1 comment:

Royall said...

My Dad took Jord and I sailing once when we were 8 and 10 years old and a huge storm came out of nowhere. Dad told me later he wasn't sure we were making it alive outta that one- apparently he only had a semi-functioning knowledge of sailing!