Once upon a time, I took a soiree into domesticity.
I'd heard about cake pops and wanted to try making them.
We were having a girls night, so I decided to try making them.
This is what I did...
Some things I wish I knew before making Cake Pops:
1. When in doubt, freeze it out - The cake balls should be frozen before you attempt to coat them in chocolate. Because if they arent set enough, they fall apart. And after you stick the sticks in with chocolate, that should be frozen too. Otherwise as you're coating with chocolate the balls fall off the sticks.
2. Microwaving the chocolate works the best. Just microwave it till melted and then re-heat 15-20 seconds if the chocolate stiffens. I completely ruined an entire bag of chocolate chips by heating the chocolate on the stove.
3. I didnt have lollipop sticks, but I took shish-kabob sticks and cut the pointy end off and cut them in half and they worked great
4. The back of a spoon works great for spreading the chocolate around the balls.
5. Size matters. Smaller cake balls were easier to coat in chocolate than bigger cake balls.
So they say to let the chocolate coated cake balls set stick side down in styrofoam, but I just set them cake/chocolate side down on the tray. They werent pretty by any means but they worked out just fine.
And they were a big hit at both the girl night and the book club I went to.
The hardest part was coating them in chocolate. And if I had thought to freeze them I'm sure I would of had less issues.