Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hello Beautiful

Right at this very moment I am breathing the fresh, crisp, much loved, Canadian air. Yes, its a little colder here than I would of liked... with a ridiculous sporting of snow. I mean did Canada not get the bulletin that it is in the end of May? Cause pretty sure everywhere else did. No bother though. I had a short reunion with Cathy this morning and feel like I can now be in a constant state of Joy at the thought of regaining the presence of my former family and friends. There is no more waiting. I'm in love with the thought of being beloved again, as only an inner circle of closest companions can do.

I generally dont mind flying. But with it always comes an annoying amount of needless stress. But give me a good book and I generally make good use of my free time. Happily there was no drama this time around. Which was a nice change from December's flight home. But when I got to Edmonton... they made me do a bag search. Why you ask? Could it be that I look like a terrorist? Have a suspicious nature about me? Nope... they pulled me aside because I had been gone for five months, was female and hadnt gone shopping. Ridiculous. Whatever though, I was freed from the confines of airports quickly enough.

My friend Ben picked me up. What a good friend!
My flight was late and I'm sure it wasnt on his number one wish list of things to do... but he's a champ. And did it cause I needed him to. Maybe I'll feel this way with everyone, but it was an odd kind of normalcy that immediately settled. Despite the large span of time it was like I had never left. The streets of Edmonton were still completely familiar to me. The City of Champions. At one point I told Ben I was just happy to be able to see people in person again - I mean I could touch his arm if I wanted to. And as I touched his arm to prove the point, Ben was like "Ya, dont do that again." hahah I'm glad he hasn't lost any of his spunk or teasing. He did say that he had kinda forgotten how uncompromisingly honest I can be sometimes. Apparently distance has the effect of blurring any ill effects of my personality. Funny boy.

Anyways my book of choice this flight?
Jane Austen's Persuasion. As I've never beforehand read a Jane Austen, I was a little worried that I've become too accustomed to the modern style of writing. I guess I would say that reading classic novels is like being on the outside looking in, whilst reading modern novels is like you are immediately present. Dont take that to mean I dont get into classic novels just the same. Cause as soon as I got used to the language and manner of speech, it was a done deal.

There is something enticing to me about a story of young love that was divided, only through re-examination and a chance of fate, to find that love endures time quite well. Call me romantic I suppose. And the little nuances of manner. Freak... I have no idea how they decided to marry people ever back then! I mean, all intentions and feelings were hidden and you had to speculate meaning at every turn. Definitely a more trusting age I would think. I cant say I could be so trusting. For me intentions mean nothing. It is all about the actions. Because too often words fall short. They feign interest, mislead and can be deceiving. Anyways, the reason I decided against Pride and Prejudice or Emma as my first choice of Jane Austen to read was because well, their happily ever after is a little too trite for my liking. To be a romantic and a realist is sometimes quite the contradiction. I guess I'm a little weary of all stories that end wrapped nicely in a little bow.

I mean, ya, this one did. But I donno, I liked that Anne (the main character) wasnt a uppity, cheerful being. She seemed very realistic about what life would bring. She wasnt beloved by her family but she cared deeply and did her best to be of use to those around her. The one man whom she had loved, she'd spurned because of his class status being unfavorable to those closest to her. It was an interesting story, about letting others influence you to the point where your unhappiness is of your own making. I guess I feel like its more than possible that unhappiness starts from within us - by our nature and attitude towards the world we are presented with. Interesting read, even if it does end with a pretty little bow.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

ok - so exciting news - we're going to watch this movie together - since we now reside in the same city!! and it's actually really good.