Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Goodbye America


As usual, I have waited until the last possible moment to pack. My travel companions (The Barry's and Dee) have been completely packed for hours now. And me? Well I think I've finally got everything packed.. but it's still gonna be a late night with an early departure. I think it was always safe to assume that I was gonna be the weak link of this trio in regards to preparedness. I left my runners in Alberta (out of forgetfulness and a procrastinated pack), and have been inundating Dee and Lucinda with texts for the last two days trying to figure out what I ought to be bringing. They kept telling me it was just like packing to go camping. Ya... I pretty much only camp with them. Dee has decided that I should henceforth be known as "the Rookie" with the naive things that come out of my mouth.

It was cute though. Dee read in her guide book that the area we are going to is important to Mormon heritage or archeology (read: Nephite/Lamanite/Mayan history) and was really excited to tell me about it. I like that my friends get excited when they run across Mormon things because they know me.

This is the eve of a momentous occasion. But it doesn't feel that way for some reason. I have been trying to convince my parents to let me travel since high school. It's what I've been telling myself I've always wanted; To travel the world. And while I'm sure I'm excited, I feel... like what if travelling isn't all its cracked up to be? What if I hate it? (I know, my poor first world problems) I mean I guess that'll decide a few future things for me if thats the case. But it was easy to day dream about all the places I'd go when there was no real chance of actually going anywhere. And now its not that simple. I wish that I could call [someone] and talk about my upcoming adventure. But I won't. Pride goeth before the fall. And my pride is firmly intact.

I know that this trip will be a success, because Lucinda, Dee and Dan are my adventure friends and make everything fun. And with them involved how could it not be? But still, this moment has been wished for for so long that its weird to have the long awaited day finally here.

T-minus Three Hours Till Departure

2 comments:

Suget said...

sounds like a great trip. have a wonderful time and please send me a post card from somewhere exotic!! hehe (:

brock + amy said...

I'm excited for you! And Brock is prettttty jealous! It sounds like you will in the some of the same places he was, we should have sent his machete with you!