Thursday, December 11, 2008

Playing Hookie

OK... so I know... I'm in dental school... I really ought to not play hookie.  Especially so close to a major holiday break.  But I think I needed this day.  I had one of the greatest, just happy to be alive, days.  It honestly was just so amazing.

So I had one class today... I know... I built up the hookie feel... but really I did skip out on the two tests I ought to be studying for... Oh well.. But I decided that I wanted to go spend the day with Portia Thompson and her three adorable kids.  Ok so Portia is my first counsellor in the bishoprics' wife.  And she is probably the nicest lady in the world... I helped her move and went for Thanksgiving at her house and she really is just the type of person that makes people feel welcomed and a little warm and tingly inside.  She's been offering to let me come hang out at her house whenever I wanted to since well... I met her in August.  But this is the first time I decided to really take her up on her offer.  And boy am I happy about that!

So I called her when I got to the train station by her house and she came and picked me up.  I hate to be an imposition and not come bearing gifts so I brought with me donuts.  Dunkin Donuts really is a great save.  And apparently her kids would choose no where else in the world to go... so I scored some major kid points... especially picking out chocolate glaze donuts (a kid necessity..).  

We drove around a bit killing some time because Mary (their adorable long haired blond and blue eyed four year old) was still at her playschool... preschool... schoolish.  And there are just a couple things I really liked about being around Portia.  First off, she was trying to find this homeless woman who wanders at a certain intersection because she and her kids had bought a present for her (a pair of shoes)... And she wanted me to surprise the woman, as I'm a stranger, and just give her the gift.  Secondly, Portia is probably one of my top five cutest young mothers who I adore and secretly look up to and want to emulate when the day "little Melissa's" and "unknown father named afters" are running around.  Maybe its that you love your own kids, but she just is so sweet and patient.  One of those mothers who doesnt fight but makes everything seem like a good idea that if you arent tired you want to agree with, with a little gentle persistence.  

So we picked Mary up from school, and she told her mom that she could pick her up early everyday if she brought donuts every time... SCORE! SO in with the four year old.  So after that Portia decided to drive and show me her favorite produce store.  We took turns going in because the kids were asleep in the car, but I went in and it was great.  Everything looked amazing.  And was cheap... something thats hard to come by often.  And I actually had planned on bringing Aunt Shelly's recipe for blueberry muffins and some blueberries so I could make them muffins... but I hadnt gotten blueberries (because the little market by my house is no better than a convenience store... shame shame)... so this impromptu stop at the grocery store was PERFECT.  I bought some bluberries and a little bit of fruit to last the next week here and took my turn staying with the kids.  Well, Mary... she decided to sing me a rooster cocka-doodle song.  I was quite impressed.  And Wesley (2) and Henry (6 months) did wake up but were perfectly happy. 

But our next stop was Target.  Its interesting shopping with children.  They reach for EVERYTHING.  And suddenly a cart that wasnt that full has a few hidden treasures.  Really though they were well behaved kids.  Played in the cart... pointed out everything that could be added to their "lists"... Mary's list in particular was quite inclusive.  And Portia I think felt bad for me cause she kept hinting that I could wander off and look for stuff but I seriously was just happy to follow her and her kids around.  I told her when I first got picked up that I was happy doing whatever they were doing for the day and I really meant it.  

By the time Target was over though the kids were getting a little hungry.  Ok and my little tumbler was rumblin' too.  So we went back to their house for lunch.  On our way Portia saw a man standing in between the roads with a sign asking for help.  She slowed down and handed him an orange she had just bought.  Seriously she is AMAZING.  I might sound a little star struck by Portia but its only because I am.  She had left over enchiladas... and suddenly she had whipped up this amazing plate of food for me.  Rice, salad, mangos, pineapple, enchiladas... mmm... so good.  After lunch, I decided to bust out the recipe and make muffins... except Portia didnt have any muffin tins so we used Bread pans.  Still... cake muffins... they were really good.  Oh Aunt Shelly and her dream muffins.  

After that the kids watched a little tv and I tried to clean up the mess I had created with my baking.  Then I sat down to work a bit on a Christmas project I've got going on.  Its top secret so once its given I'll tell you about it.  But the kids wanted to join too so I gave them some construction paper and  pens and Mary, who writes letters (singular, not the long epistle) wrote a whole bunch of cards to different people.  The tricky part was when she'd ask you to read what her letters said.  Sadly I didnt get how that game worked (aka make it up and hope you can mind read a little) but her mom pulled out flying colors.  Moms' definitely have an upper hand with their own kids.  

So I may also have slightly had a little star tour... so Mitt Romney is in Portia's family ward.  And Elder Eyrings' son (or grandson, I cant remember which) is also in her ward.  And his wife invited Portia and the kids over for dinner since both of their husbands were out of town.  Portia said it was ok for me to tag along so I did.  The Eyring's house was so BEAUTIFUL.  Like I wish I was more of a stalker and took pictures.. the mental pictures are enough for me.  Just a very classy looking house.  I really liked it.  And we drove by Mitt Romney's house too.  And Amy Eyring... wife to Elder Eyrings son/grandson(?) is so nice.  Seriously... nice people... they are everywhere.  And Amy has five kids... three daughters and two sons.  Well the oldest daughters are in grade five and three and showed us a few of their talents.  The grade fiver played the piano... and she was good.  And I dont mean like... you're alright for someone your age... no I mean good.  Expressive, beautiful music that came alive at her finger tips.  Her mom claims to have no musical inklings but dang.  And the grade three'er played the violin for us... and it reminded me of my Takahashi cousins.  They were both adorable girls.  And the dinner was very fun and nice.  

I did learn a few things... for instance, apparently after your third kid, strangers will start commenting on the fact that they think you are crazy for going for kid number four or five.  Giving you crazy looks and telling you right to your face that you are crazy... something to look forward too... haha.  Oh strangers... they love being in your life.  Even though they dont know you at all.  

So I came back to Portia's house after the dinner.  Poor Portia.. had me trailing her all day.  But she put her kids to bed and I did a minute amount of studying.  Bro. Thompson got home and got the nice surprise of me letting him in the locked door because he didnt have keys and the door was locked.  haha... I felt bad for intruding on their reunion moment.  But at the same time I kinda like witnessing things like that.  Its like going to the zoo but way cooler because it doesnt smell.  You get to see and watch love in action.  And I kinda like that a little.  So Portia told Ryan (Bro. Thompson) about the day while he ate his cap'n crunch cereal... It just was a cute little moment I got to witness.  Then Portia graciously offered to drive me home.  Even though I live so far away from her.  She lives in Belmont... Which means she had to drive through Cambridge, through most of Boston to get to my house.  I mean I was grateful.  Boy was I.  Its pouring rain and public transportation just doesnt compare to a car (I dont care what the bus ads say)... 

I got home and just felt great about the day.  Really there was no big event.  It was like I was shadowing a mom for a day.  But it was just fun to be with someone who has it figured out.  She knows where she's going and is just a smart smart lady... and I got a lot of food out of it... leftover pizza, white trash (aka chex mix covered in white chocolate - from sis. Eyring), fruit, a bit of the blueberry cake... So basically this was the greatest non-productive day of the semester.  And was totally worth it. 

    

2 comments:

.Ang. said...

That sounds like a great day!! I love the way you write!

and from that one post of that one day, I want to be like Portia too!!!

Judy Takahashi said...

I love your writings too!

Thanks for blogging about your "non productive day". Sounds like Portia is going for all the good things of life.

Love you Melissa!

Auntie Judy