Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup


I ended up having to make dinner on a non-day off day (because yes, I can only manage to make dinner if I have at least an hour before it needs to be done and when I work till five, I dont really have time to get home and make dinner before the family needs to eat at like 5:30). So as always I turned to trusty Pinterest. This soup turned out sooo good (and its leftovers can be turned into a casserole). With really good flavor and not too spicy at all. Plus those onions! They were amazing.

In the Crockpot:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 10oz cans of green chiles
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn or two cups frozen corn
1 onion, chopped
900mL chicken broth (I used one of those big boxes of chicken broth that looks like a giant juice box)
1-2 cups of water
1 Taco Seasoning Package

To finish the soup:
tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded cheese
fresh cilantro

This could not have been easier to make. I just put all the ingredients (onion, beans, green chiles, etc) in the crockpot and mixed them around (adding the chicken last and making sure it was partially submerged in the liquid mixture - which wasnt a problem since there was lots of liquid). Then I set the crockpot for low and cooked it for about 8-9 hours. Since I got home after it was ready, Nat broke up the chicken a little bit - which was super easy since it had been cooking all day. 

To serve we crunched up some chips, topped it with shredded cheese and since I like sour cream, I added a spoon full of that. I didn't have any cilantro, but I know it would have only enhanced the flavour. It was amazing (even though Dave doesn't consider soup a real meal). And seriously so easy. I think I could really get into crockpot cooking. 

No comments: