Friday, November 21, 2008

Feeling Like a Dental Student

This last week we had two days where it really felt like I was in dental school.  The first was we did probing for the first time.  Which, for those of you who dont know, is when you check to see how healthy the gum tissue is and if there's any bone recession by sticking your probe into the gingival sulcus (aka the space between your gums and teeth).  I would put up a picture but 1.  I forgot to take one while I was doing it and 2. My instruments are being sterilized at the school.  So just try to picture it in your heads.  

The more exciting thing though is what we did today.  Wax ups.  Which probably doesnt sound all that cool but from this little tooth prep we build a tooth.  The prep is more like a little nubbin' of a tooth.   


Anyways to re-build the tooth you need to make it look like your neighbour tooth... using wax and this waxer machine that heats the wax so you can add it.  Anyways.. for my first time, I'm decently proud of what I made... Its not perfect but my teacher said it was one of the better ones in the class.  Yay!    














Anywho... I like it.  It was kinda relaxing to just sit there and build a tooth.  Kinda made me forget I've got a big exam on Monday that I need to be studying for.  

3 comments:

Papahashi said...

Hey Melissa.

I just found your blog. I found it because I was checking who had visited my blog and I saw that some random people were referred from you blog. I look forward to your updates. Hope the exam today goes well.

I feel so honored to be a link on your page.

Uncle Doug

Linz said...

that's awesome miss! it's cool isn't it ... i really miss being at the office!! good luck on your exam! luv ya!

Anonymous said...

The first pic looks just like my tooth that was knocked out, that u so kindly placed back in my hand for safe keeping. And the second pic looks like the work your dad did on my tooth! You've always been a little dentist! Good luck with school and all your exams!
Love you!
Whit